Grants and Awards
- Hawai'i Innovation Laboratory raised over $320,000 in pre-seed through national and local accelerator programs and won various national and local competitions.
Hawai'i Innovation laboratory in news
- Ten Innovative Teams Emerge Victorious in Round 4 of the American-Made Solar Prize (link).
- U of Hawai’i at Mānoa start-up advances technology to reduce solar power costs (link).
- UH Mānoa startup among national solar innovation semifinalists (link).
- University of Hawai'i Innovation story, Dr. Arif Rahman, Innovator and entrepreneur (link).
- Hawai'i Innovation Laboratory (HIL) selected for UH Venture Accelerator program in spring 2020 (link).
- HIL co-founder Dr. Kareem Elassy received UH Mānoa, College of Engineering Outstanding PhD student award (link).
- HIL co-founder's inventions featured in Hawaii New Now (link).
- HIL co-founders selected finalist for Hawaii Venture Capital Association's Awards 2018 and 2020, featured in UH news.
- HIL co-founders featured in Hawaii Public Radio, Bytemarks Cafe (link).
- HIL co-founders and student team wins UH Mānoa Breakthrough Innovation Challenge in 2017, 2019, and 2020.
arif rahman, phd
aaron ohta, phd
kareem elassy, phd
wayne shiroma, phd
Team research area: Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), Micro-nanofabrication, Micro/nano/bio-robotics, Microfluidics, Optofluidics, Biomedical microdevices, Reconfigurable electronic, High-frequency circuit design, Next generation RF components, High frequency characterization of materials, Impedance spectroscopy, dielectric spectroscopy Cell and embryo culture, manipulation, micro-surgery, and cellular drug delivery.